“I want to kill myself”

This is a true story related to day, 26 February 2014, we were driven out of our home by vicious feminist savages in Oxford, the end-point of a vigilante campaign set up by a Oxford philosophy graduate student Brooke Berndtson and her academic supervisor, Dr Paula Boddington, in 2013.

A few days before this, on 22 February 2014, I’d received an anonymous message on my phone, which my wife actually picked up. She then broke into tears.

The message said “jeffrey ketland – murderer“. My wife asked,

“Who is this insane psychopath doing this?”

I’m fairly sure I know who sent the message, since an exactly similar message had been sent to me before, on 5 September 2013, and I had likewise reported it to the police and to the university. That very same day, 5 September 2013, an American philosophy graduate student at Oxford, Brooke Berndtson, also publicly defamed me on Twitter as follows:

Brooke Berndtson twitter Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 17.42.06

You can bully a student into suicide“: this is unhinged fabricated libel, used to publicly whip up a lynch mob. Berndtson’s academic supervisor at Oxford was Dr Paula Boddington, a feminist philosophy academic there, who was directly involved in running the smear campaign and vigilante witch hunt against me.

On 22 February 2014, we had been in Witney, a village near Oxford. We drove back and reported it immediately to the police.

A police officer later visited. He didn’t have any idea what to do, as it was anonymous and hard to detect the source. He asked what was happening. I told him that an unhinged vigilante lynch mob of feminist activists had been in operation against me for months, falsely accusing me of “murder”, and that an inquest would be held in four days’ time, on 26 February 2014, for the death of a violent mentally disturbed woman who had stalked me for years and who then committed suicide when her boyfriend ended their relationship on 10 June 2013, the previous year (the behaviour of this stalker is described here).

He asked if I’d been contacted by the coroner and I told him what I knew at the time: the coroner had told my lawyer repeatedly for five months that he considered me completely irrelevant and I wasn’t going to be mentioned. In fact, I’d received an email two days before from the coroner’s assistant, Mr Geoff Webb, saying exactly this.

The police officer said I should probably avoid being around and possibly leave for our safety, in case we were subjected to any more threats from the vigilantes.

I reported the cyber-harassment to two colleagues at my College and to the University.

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 13.18.11

Friends were united in their advice: you have to leave for your own safety.

So, on 26 February 2014, we left Oxford in the morning and began driving to Scotland, a journey that in the end took about 14 hours. In the early afternoon, my phone began ringing. I stopped to take two calls. One was the Master of my College telling me that the press intended to publish attacks against me. Apparently, an assistant coroner Nicholas Graham had bizarrely and without notifying us read out all kinds of outrageous lies about me: I had never been consulted and these were flat-out fabricated lies that were read out (see here).

We were utterly horrified by this news. It was disgraceful. How can outrageous fabrications be read out in a coroner’s court, without the person being vilified even being contacted, or informed, or given a chance to reply? It was disgraceful.

As my wife and I said there discussing what seemed to have happened, our 4 year old son was sitting in the backseat. At one point he interrupted us:

“I want to kill myself”.

This was shocking. My wife then spent a while changing the subject and trying to calm him down.

Oxford feminists are savages.